If there is one thing ‘about me’ I’d want anyone to know about my politics, it is that while I have always been a registered Democrat, I am not hyper-partisan. I am loyal only to the truth. By now, many of you (I hope) won’t be surprised to hear that.
But given the ‘pick your side’ nature of American elections, being a Democrat has always felt more in line with values that include compassion and good will and a sense of generosity toward your fellow man and woman and child.
So let’s talk about what feels ‘most’ wrong two years post Election, 2016.
I feel with every fiber of my being that Trump has been such a big fat horrible mistake for this country. He is worse than the bad dream we envisioned. He is now more the nightmare we can’t wake up from as he has completely divided us, and consequently, we’ve now witnessed an unprecedented escalation of hatred and accompanying violence toward every population, it sometimes seems, except white men and women of privilege.
He has given the fringe, shrill anti Zionist set on the left a window of opportunity to exploit, and I won’t let up on that either. Not as a child of Holocaust survivors whose war-torn parents met and married in Israel, drinking from a Kiddush cup, celebrating their union and their survival against all odds. I will fight to challenge every single politician, blue, red or purple, to support Israel as we move toward 2020, and hope you will too.
For now, however, there’s a bottom line I have come to terms with: Voting for the enabling band of GOPers helps keep ‘him’ in office…and consequently:
* Our health care is on the line.
* Our personal safety is at continuous risk from gun violence and ‘activated’ alt right individuals and gangs.
* The fate of our air and ocean continue to be deeply compromised by this climate science denying bunch.
* The trauma on children inflicted at the border is completely unacceptable and will impact them for a lifetime.
* As a woman who celebrates the hard fought gains made for myself and my sisters, I will not sit back and watch this sexist gang make decisions that could roll back the clock for our daughters.
* I will stand up for my gay and trans friends who are under attack too.
We all deserve better. Much better.
First order of business, change up this very bad hand we’ve been dealt.
#VOTEBLUE on November 6th!
Please keep reminding our youngest voters, too. While I may veer away from making official endorsements, there are times for anyone who cares about our country’s future to speak up, and now feels distinctly like one of those times. I’m grateful I still have freedom of expression to share that thought and a forum in which to do so. There is so much at stake…