Enhancing home safety for an elderly person with Alzheimer’s can be a difficult task. Aside from taking care of installing handrails, re-arranging furniture and removing other obstacles from the home (as you might for any frail elderly), there are much less obvious hazards to someone losing their memory. An elderly person with Alzheimer’s, for example, may forget a knife is sharp or a stove is hot.
Many people who suffer from this disease will also have a tendency to wander and it doesn’t matter if it is day or night. An elderly person who lacks judgment, coordination and is disoriented wandering around their home in the dark of night can be heading toward disaster.
Vigilance is key plus these preventive measures:
- Clear a home of tripping hazards such as electrical cords and loose rugs. Sharp corners of furniture can cause serious injuries during a fall.
- Keep extra lighting in the house and contrasting floor colors at doorways, stairways and landings. This will make it much easier for someone to see the difference in the surface and possible changing heights and help prevent tripping and falling.
- Install motion sensors and door alarms to help caregivers know when a elder moves around at night. Night lights in their bedroom and other traffic areas also ensure safe movement at night.
- Lower hot water settings to avoid burns. An individual with Alzheimer’s may actual forget that the “H” on the faucet means hot or even forget what “hot” is.
- Use child proof locks to block access to sharp or otherwise potentially hazardous appliances, objects, and substances. To protect from wandering, utilizing deadbolts or locks on gates can also be a good idea.
These are just some of things to consider when caring for a person with Alzheimer’s. In the event you feel you need assistance from a professional, there is help available.
Whether full-time, part-time or 24/7, LifeWorx’s non-medical professionals are fully screened to ensure that they have the proper skills and are trustworthy and reliable. This has led to a track record of satisfied clients who have used our Elder Care Experts in the New York Metro and Fairfield County areas. Contact us today to start reviewing candidates immediately.
Visit www.lifeworx.com or locally, please call 914 458-9933.