More often than not, kids view love in a much different way than adults do. I have had the pleasure of gaining first-hand insight of what love means to two of my favorite kids. Here is how they explained what love is to them…
Ari, 11 years old:
- What does love look like? Boyfriend and girlfriend. And they like each other. You are married and have kids. And you trust each other. AND you hangout with each other.
- What does love mean to you? A connection. That’s it.
- How do people show love? By kissing each other. They sleep together. And get each other gifts. And go out to dinner. And have kids. And get married.
- When do you want to get married? When I am 26 because I want to have kids when I am 28 because I do not want to be an old parent.
- What do you want your wedding to look like? A summer themed one with palm trees and flamingos. With a tye-dye dress. I want my bride there, the groom there who will be **** (she named her crush), and I want all my family and friends there.
- What are the “rules” in marriage? You can’t cheat. You have to sleep with each other and you can’t go ask any other person.
- How does friendship love differ from relationship love? A friendship love is when you are friends and don’t love, love each other but you like each other. And in marriage you kiss each other on the lips and have S E X.
- Is it possible to love more than two people romantically at once? NO! That’s cheating
- What does it feel like to have a crush? Good. Smiley faces in your stomach. You feel cute yourself because you know you like someone and they like you back because I am always cute.
- Do you like having crushes? Yes, because that could be your future marriage.
Ella, 4 years old:
- What does love look like? *Draws a heart with her fingers*
- What does love mean to you? A hug and kiss.
- How do people show love? When you play with them and snuggle.
- When do you want to get married? When I am a grown up at 23.
- What do you want your wedding to look like? I want my mommy and daddy there. I want a long, white dress like Ariel’s. I also want Lily (her sister) and Ginger (her dog).
- What are the “rules” in marriage? You have to marry them.
- How does friendship love differ from relationship love? Unsure. *she began to run around the kitchen*
- Is it possible to love more than two people romantically at once? *Running in circles around the kitchen at this point*
- What does it feel like to have a crush? Lucas (her “boyfriend”. They plan to get married soon). I want to marry Lucas because he is my husband.
- Do you like having crushes? *Back to the sprints in the kitchen*