Adapted: Page to Screen
Sometimes a Great Notion
Caramoor at the Burns: Movies Musicians Love
Presented in partnership with Caramoor
The Triplets of Belleville
The community partner of JBFC Kids is the Westchester Library System
Making Waves: New Romanian Cinema
Our annual series returns.
Dates and titles TBD
Remix: The Black Experience in Film, Media, and Art
Sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts
The Learning Tree
Sponsored by Wine Enthusiast
My Little Chickadee
Senior Afternoon Cinema
Defending Your Life
They Came to Play
World Stage on Screen
Sponsored by The Knolls—A Bethel Community
NT Live: Hansard
Nov. 7—Live Broadcast
NT Live: Present Laughter
PHENOMENAL FIVE: HUMAN RIGHTS AND SOCIAL JUSTICE ACTIVISTS, INCLUDING CHELSEA CLINTON AND ZAINAB SALBI, TO BE HONORED BY ELEANOR ROOSEVELT CENTER AT VAL-KILL
2019 honorees include Hyde Park residents and philanthropists, John and Gloria Golden, and President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises and gender equity champion, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo.
HYDE PARK, NY (September 18, 2019) – Paying tribute to the legacy of “The First Lady of the World,” The Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill (ERVK), a non-profit educational organization based in Hyde Park, NY, is excited to announce that it will honor five change-makers, including author and vice chair of the Clinton Foundation, Chelsea Clinton, and humanitarian, author and global journalist, Zainab Salbi, with the prestigious Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill Medal at a ceremonious luncheon on Sunday, October 13.Medals will be bestowed by honoree-selected presenters, including 1995 medal recipient, Hillary Clinton, honoring her daughter, Chelsea Clinton. The ceremony will begin at 11:30 a.m. at the Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site in Hyde Park, NY. Open to the public, event tickets can be purchased online at www.ervk.org/events or by calling (845) 229-5302.
In its 32nd year, the Annual Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill Medal Ceremony recognizes individuals who reflect Mrs. Roosevelt’s desire to build a better world through humanitarian efforts. In addition to Clinton and Salbi, the 2019 honorees include Hyde Park residents and philanthropists, John and Gloria Golden, and President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises and gender equity champion, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo. Each of these distinguished guests will be presented with awards for their unfailing dedication to promoting human rights and to challenging injustice.
“Dedicated to serving others, these inspiring honorees have made an irrevocable impact on the global community,” said April Gozza, executive director of ERVK. “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to honor and celebrate their contributions, which put into action Eleanor’s ideals. This year is especially momentous as it marks the first time both a mother and daughter have received the medal.”
In the tradition established by Mrs. Roosevelt’s life’s work, each medalist has made significant contributions to evolve social justice, education, public service and human rights. Embodying what it means to live through activism, advocacy and compassion, medalists serve to better their local communities and the world at large. Former honorees include Gloria Steinem, Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan, Hillary Clinton, James Earl Jones, Loung Ung, Pete Seeger, Peter and Jennifer Buffett, Pumla Gobodo-Madikezeka, Richard Holbrooke, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Tarana Burke.
Proceeds will support the ERVK’s efforts to educate, inspire and uplift future generations through leadership and youth development programs, including the esteemed Girls Leadership Worldwide program and the Eleanor Roosevelt Emerging Community College Leaders (ECCEL) program for community college students. Sponsorship opportunities are available, and more information can be found on the event website.
For more information on the Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill Medal Ceremony or to view a list of past medal recipients, visit www.ervk.org/eleanor-roosevelt-val-kill-medal/eleanor-roosevelt-val-kill-past-medalists/.
About the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill:
Furthering Eleanor Roosevelt’s life mission, the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill (ERVK), a non-profit organization located in Hyde Park, NY, facilitates educational programming to inspire youth across the globe to be champions of social justice and humanitarian efforts. By offering intensive, prestigious programs like Girls Leadership Worldwide (GLW) and Eleanor’s Community College Emerging Leaders (ECCEL), ERVK equips young people with the necessary tools to be agents of change within their communities and beyond. To learn more, please visit www.ervk.org or follow the organization on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
News courtesy of the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill
‘The Realities of Anti-Semitism’ in sports and in society at large, and all its challenges, will be addressed via the viewpoints anticipated by 15 esteemed speakers at a September 25th Global Symposium sponsored by Fordham University’s School of Professional and Continuing Studies in conjuction with Final Whistle on Hate. The summit aims to bring about understanding and change. For a full agenda, list of speakers, and to
purchase tickets: https://www.fordham.edu/info/29262/global_symposium_on_sports_and_society_anti-semitism_and_sports
$95 (FULL DAY)
Reduced pricing available for high school
and college students,
Fordham staff, faculty, students: free of charge.
– Registration required
Editor’s Note: A vital bipartisan/nonpartisan gathering (it’s for anyone of any political persuasion!) who wishes to convey their acknowledgment and protest against the spike in antisemitism that we are witnessing from NYC to London. Enough is enough.
IN RESPONSE TO WAVE OF VIOLENT ANTISEMITIC ATTACKS 13 JEWISH ADVOCACY GROUPS FORM COALITION, LAUNCH PROTESTS IN NEW YORK AND LONDON
New York, NY – In response to a string of violent attacks targeting the Jewish Community, Women Fight Antisemitism announces partnership with 12 Jewish Advocacy groups to combat Antisemitism beginning with protests in both New York and London on September 22, 2019
NYC Location: Mayor’s Office at NYC City Hall, 249-243 Broadway NYC 10007 Date/Time: September 22, 2019,12:00PM – 2:00PM (EST)
Event Page: https://womenfightantisemitism.org/events
Facebook URL: https://facebook.com/events/404143820453764
Directions Link: https://goo.gl/maps/G1NgFFx9G6D9H4Js7
UK Location: Golders Green, London, UK
Date/Time: September 22, 2019 5:00PM (UTC)
Facebook URL: https://facebook.com/events/369891873901814
The growing Coalition and NAME IT TO FIGHT IT! IT’S ANTISEMITISM! are being launched in response to an unprecedented wave of violence perpetrated against the Jewish Community. These are savage and unprovoked brutal attacks targeted at one community and one community only: Jews. The media networks and the mayors of major cities such as New York City and London are entirely responsible for naming and fighting these attacks. When the majority of people in Park Slope, just one neighborhood from Crown Heights, are not informed by the mayor and major news networks that visibly Jewish Americans are getting bricks thrown at them by Antisemites, we must hold the mayors and the major news networks of these cities accountable. This is a major issue. It must be given major attention.
1. WoMen Fight AntiSemitism is a nonpartisan group welcoming all genders and races to fight for equality and against AntiSemitism http://womenfightantisemitism.org
Nissan Jacobs, email@example.com
2. Yad Yamin – New York is a grassroots Zionist movement that is dedicated to exposing, addressing and confronting anti-Semitic activity in NYC. https://facebook.com/Yad-Yamin-New-York Karen Lichtbraun, firstname.lastname@example.org 3. Eye On Antisemitism (UK) monitoring anti-Semitism online and social media since 2008 http://eyeonantisemitism.co.uk
Ambrosine Shitrit, email@example.com
4. Campaign4Truth (UK) promotes understanding & context of the Jewish Diaspora, Israel and the Middle East. https://facebook.com/pg/campaign4T
Sharon Klaff, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Combat Anti-Semitism is a non-partisan, international, grassroots movement of individuals and organizations, across all religions and creeds, united to combat the global rise of anti-Semitism. https://combatantisemitism.org
Emma Enig, email@example.com
6. Americans Against Antisemitism, established by former New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind, is a grassroots coalition that mobilizes supporters to take social action against antisemites. https://americansaa.org
Israel Bitton, HikindPR@gmail.com
7. Stop Antisemitism is a part of a non-profit foundation that works to hold antisemites accountable and to create consequences for their bigoted actions by exposing the threat that they present to all Americans and showing how their ideologies conflict with American values, morals, and principles. https://stopantisemitism.org
Liora Rez, Liora@stopantisemitism.org
8. National Conference of Jewish Affairs (NJCA), Rabbi Aryeh Spero is author of “PUSH BACK: Reclaiming OurAmerican Judeo-Christian Spirit” and is president of Caucus For America.
9. ZOA was founded in 1897, the Zionist Organization of America (“ZOA”) is the oldest pro-Israel organization in the United States. Since its founding in 1897, the Zionist Organization of America has been fighting for the Jewish people and the Land of Israel. Under the leadership of such illustrious presidents as Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, Rabbi Dr. Abba Hillel Silver, and current National President Morton A. Klein, the ZOA has been on the front lines of Jewish activism.